Betknowmore UK is looking for a treasurer to join its board of trustees.
Duties of our Treasurer
The overall role of our Treasurer is to work with the Head of Finance and CEO to maintain an overview of the organisation’s affairs, ensure its financial viability and ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
In addition to the general responsibilities of a trustee, duties of the treasurer may include the following:
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements
- Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs
- Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
- Preparing and presenting financial reports to the board
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
- Liaising with any paid staff and volunteers about financial matters
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
- Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate investment policy
- Ensuring that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of the charity
- Monitoring the organisation’s investment activity and ensuring it is consistent with the organisation’s policies and legal responsibilities
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, for example the Charity Commission and/or the Registrar of Companies
- If external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
- Sitting on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as require
- All Trustees should ensure that they are aware of their safeguarding responsibilities and take responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of vulnerable adults and young people. This will include completing a Standard DBS check.
In addition to the person specification for a trustee, the treasurer should have the following qualities:
- Financial qualifications and experience
- Some experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
- Being prepared to make unpopular recommendations to the board
- A willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- A commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Candidates should not have an existing or previous connection to the gambling industry or derive an income through gambling services and activities.