Betknowmore UK focuses on health and wellbeing, not just for gamblers but also for those who are affected by the gambling of those close to them. If you are the partner or relative of a gambling addict, you are likely to be facing a whole host of problems when trying to get them back on track to a normal life. For your loved one to have a successful and long-lasting recovery, it's important that you have the strength to help them on their journey.
You will be under a lot of different stresses: you will almost certainly have been lied to, you may be in financial difficulties, your partner/relative may be suffering from depression and anxiety. You need to look after yourself and build a support network to help you through these difficulties.
Here are just a few ideas for you to stay healthy and more able to cope with the stress you are facing:
- get regular exercise, even if it's just a 30 minute walk every day
- don't skip meals or eat poorly as this will have a further negative impact on your mental and physical health
- do see friends and family and talk to them about what you are going through. You'd be surprised how many people may also have been through this before, in your close circle
- don't try and blot out the problems with alcohol or drugs
- if you are suffering from any issues such as insomnia, stomach or bowel problems or anxiety, do go and see your GP. Don't just leave them to 'go away by themselves' as they can develop into very serious health issues.
It can also be helpful to spend time doing things you enjoy: perhaps even, if you have time, volunteering and helping within your community. Don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself. Putting in place new routines is an important part of developing a new life that isn't dominated by gambling.
More resources can be found at these useful sites: